Friday, February 22, 2008

Desert Race St. George Feb 23

Now that the shock has gone I can update you on more of
Tanner. Obviously he is doing well. I should say OK,
but I can honestly say that getting on that bike made his day.
As you can see from his smile. I know some are questioning
that ride, but look at Tanners face. Tanner is staying busy.
He has been going to physical therapy 3 times a week plus
acupuncture and chiropractor. Then the afternoon fills
with friends. This keeps us all busy, I have a revolving door.
we all love to see people (the only complaint is maybe
having the closing time be midnight.) Scott and I have
learned to just go to bed. We can't keep up with them at night.
Here are some pictures of Tanner. We finally got his stander.
He wasn't too excited to get into his Grandma's invention. So
now he can do some of his physical therapy here. This helps
to put weight on his bones. It helps them stay strong. He has
some more movement in his quads on his left leg. He can bend and
straighten it. Small steps but I know that it will have huge
results.
Scott and Gavin went to St. George this weekend to race a
desert race. (Scott did not race)Gavin took 2nd due to a flat tire that he had
to finish the race with. Gregg, Chanler, Ethen, Tyler,
and the Miller boys raced also. Scott called with the news
of the day. Todd broke his right wrist and possibly his left.
His mom Jana was there, she took Todd to the hospital and came
back to Brent her oldest son with a broken collar bone. I
sure hope us moms have a special place in Heaven for what these
boys put us through! I told Jana we could fit a few more beds
in Tanners room. I'm sure I could have a few more patients.
Scott told me that there was alot of racers there that had
the #155 on their number plates to honor Tanner. I was so
touched by that. I know they are very supportive of
Tanner. All day Tanner said "boy, its a perfect day for a race".
His thoughts were with everyone of you that had his number on
your bike. Thanks for taking him along. I am glad that they
are out doing what they love and sending their thoughts and
prayers to Tanner. Tanner was very touched when he heard this.
He has such a big heart and it goes out to all of you.
Thanks again for your support and continued prayers.
Someone asked me what the doctors think of Tanners progress?
I can honestly say they don't know. They have
just sent Tanner on his way. I do talk to the nurse when we have
problems. But for the doctor, We have only seen him once since
Tanner has left the hospital. So as you can see it is not the
medical end that will heal Tanner. It is the love and support
he has from everyone of you that read this everyday and keep him
in your prayers. SO TOGETHER WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT. AND WHEN
WE MAKE IT WE WILL ALL CELEBRATE TOGETHER. I feel that my extended
family as grown by leaps and bounds. What an amazing blessing
this is to our family. I want you all to know how much we love
each and everyone of you. I know some might be a little disappointed
in Tanners decision on getting on a bike this fast again. But it
is Tanner that has to live his life the way it is now. If he has
questions of what if's it is better to answer them now as we go.
This is how he sees what limits there are and where he can adjust.
The good news is the bike is put away out to the shop! So that
temptation won't be there as of now. I know alot of "what if's"
have been asked, but "what if's" don't matter to what is. I truly
believe that we can't live our lives on what if's. We take it as
it comes.
I have not been too good at updating, I will try to get it updated
at least once a week. If there is anything that anyone wants to
know about Tanner I would be happy to tell you if I know.

Thanks again for your great comments! They do put a smile on
Tanners face and let him know that people care and we are not
fighting this alone.

Our love and prayers to all.
The Godfrey's

2 comments:

Krista said...

Though you do not know me, know that you are an inspiration to many! When you got bucked off you got your butt back on! Keep inspiring the world!

Krista

ls said...

Hi Tanner and Staci,

I have been meaning to comment on here for awhile now but am only now getting around to it. I think about your family often and John and I pray for you guys daily. I love reading the updates and seeing the pictures.

One of the things that has been on my mind that I wanted to share with you is something that I learned while I was in Romania. I was often overwhelmed with the things I was seeing and dealing with there-- my heart literally ached and I found myself asking questions to heaven about why those little precious babies had to suffer. Why do any of us have to suffer? And one day I was having a really hard time and asking, "What if this little baby never feels love? What if this little baby doesn't ever learn how to sit up because no one ever holds him? What if this baby gets beaten? What if this baby starves to death? What if...." you get the idea. Anyway, I was really struggling to understand. I started to read the scriptures looking for answers and comfort. I found these verses in Phillipians 4:
"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus...
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

I was so touched to realize that even though I didn't understand all of the whys and what ifs, even though I didn't have all the answers, I could still be blessed with the PEACE of god because that passes all understanding. And really, when we are going through hard things it is the PEACE that will get us through, not knowing the answers.

I pray peace for your family. Tanner, you are such a great, special kid and you CAN do all things through Christ and he does and will strengthen you. I believe in you and I know you believe in yourself. Stace, you are so strong and I am amazed at your diligence and faith. I am proud to be part of your family.

Much love,
Liz (Twede)