Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wow, Its Feb 12th!

Ok, I'm back. It has been awhile since I have updated everyone. Sorry
for the time gone by. I guess you could say we ( I ) was on survival mode.
There was so many times I tried to write, but didn't. Not quite knowing
what to say. I know that sounds unlike me, I usually have too much to say.
I decided today that I wasn't going to loose anymore time. We all have
learned so much and have much more to go. Not ever understanding what
people that go through this really go through. Small obstacles that almost
stop you. Easy things that were once overlooked now become very hard.
But we are back, for know. So if you read this let Tanner know. It still
helps us to hear your encouraging words.
Tanner still can move his toes on his left foot. Even better he has feeling!
Also he can move his ankle, flex his hamstrings, and slightly bend his knee.
Last night he was able to pull his wheelchair forward, a small amount, with
his left leg! As for his right, his 2nd toe over he can wiggle in the slightest
also. He is getting stronger with his upper body. He makes many trips a
day around the block. He has a small hill he calls "the speed hill", that he
said he gets speed down. My mom asked him how fast he gets going and
he said "not fast enough!" He is mastering the wheelies in his wheelchair.
He still wrestles with his sibblings, they don't dare to get in arms reach.
He has quit the grab. Today at physical therapy Tanner was able to peddle
a bike with the power of his left leg. The other day I asked Tanner what
he wants to do when he can walk. He said he wants to ride a mountain bike.
I told him I can't wait until he can walk into the doctors office for his appt.
I would like to ask the doctor to rethink what he tells family members when
he comes out of the operating room. Maybe not to take away HOPE so soon.
Maybe just say "I don't know if he will walk."
One of my best friends dad brought a friend over that had broke his back when
he was in college. He was pole vaulting for the Olympics. It was the trials, and
his pole broke when he was in mid air. Coming down he broke his back in
many places. He told us his story. He is walking and you would have never
guessed what he had gone through. That at one time in his life he was paralysed.
He said he laid in a hospital bed for 9 months before he even moved his big toe.
His story is amazing. It was so good for Tanner and all of us to hear it. We love
the success stories. I am so thankful for people like him that will take the
time to come share with us a time in their life that I am sure is not fun to
remember. The most important thing he told Tanner is "It is not your legs that
will walk for you it will be your mind and your heart that will help you heal.
It will take the heart of a champion." As he looked around Tanners room, he
saw the trophies and pictures. He told Tanner he could tell Tanner had what it
will take. Both of them shared their testamony of the Book of Mormon. While in
the Hospital he listend to it by book on tape 9 times. This his where he found the
faith and hope that he needed to help him through this time. They challanged
Tanner to read the Book of Mormon and highlight each time the words hope
and faith are written. This is where we will find the hope that we need and the
tender mercy from our Father in Heaven.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hey it is good to have you back! Keep up the great work Tanner. I love reading all the amazing things that you are doing! It will be an exciting day when you walk. Can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted with pictures and your thoughts. It is hard to imagine from the outside what this experience has meant for you and your family. We want you to know that we will NEVER GIVE UP FAITH and HOPE - we believe in you all. Your family has learned the real meaning of teamwork. Keep it up - you are all winners and have what it takes to be champions!

Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted with pictures and your thoughts. It is hard to imagine from the outside what this experience has meant for you and your family. We want you to know that we will NEVER GIVE UP FAITH and HOPE - we believe in you all. Your family has learned the real meaning of teamwork. Keep it up - you are all winners and have what it takes to be champions!

Love to you all!

Laura said...

It's so good to hear of Tanner's progress! I ask Brent, Todd, Blake and sometimes Gavin (when he is over) how Tanner is doing and they just don't give as good of details as Stacy, so Thanks! Tanner never seems to amaze me... he is awesome! Keep up the positive attitude.
We Love the Godfreys!
Laura (Miller)

Anonymous said...

Tanner,
I dont know if you'll ever WALK...I know you'll RUN as fast as you can when that day comes. You have in you the endurance, drive and strength to exceed all medical expectations. We are all cheering for you...we want you to beat this! You are Superman!

love, Ali

Anonymous said...

Tanner, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
A day of LOVE and who can count all those who LOVE you and your family!
I Love reading the marvelous update from you Mom. I Love her!

I Love knowing how you are triggering your muscles to work and come alive!

I Love seeing Gavin play the guitar!

I Love seeing you stand on that personally designed dolly with Preston leaning on you for strength. And you are the strength!
( Your Grandma did a great designer job on that dolly!)

I Love seeing you with all of your friends!

I Love that you want to mountain bike. I am counting on that. I Love the spin classes at the Life Centre. I even have cycling clip on shoes. But I am too afarid to ride on a road or trail. So here is the deal, you will help me and give me the courage to ride on a mountain trail with you and help me when I fall! ( And that is before I am too old.)

I Love that you will walk again........cause see all this snow? Well, Ray being the older gentleman that he is, and getting older everyday, and his failing back, and bad ankle,( he is much, much older than me, 2 years is alot.(( Please don't feel too sorry for us) Anyway, I Love that one day you will come over and snow blow our driveway and walks. Now if that isn't incentive I don't know what is!

I Love the snow!

I Love the sunshine!

I Love you!


P.S. I Love the Book of Mormon.
I Love that you are reading it everyday and the great words from your friend who experienced it's power and shared it with you.

I Love what Mormon tell his son Moroni...
Moroni 7:33
And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expediant in me.
Moroni 8:16
......Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority from God; and I fear not what man can do; for perfect LOVE casteth out all fear.

Love to you, Brenda

kerri said...

Tanner,
I'm sure you don't remember us, but my son Austen remembers you!
He played football with your little brother Preston last year. We are very faithful visitors of this blog! He is always interested in the details of your progress. If he isn't checking the blog himself, he insists that I am so that we can keep updated on all the wonderful things that are happening with you. Austen tells everyone about you, your courage and faith to walk again.(honestly he just can't wait to see you ride!) You are an inspiration to many... those you don't even know. Thank you, to your mother for being willing to share your journey with us. Thank you for "Standing a Little Taller", Thank you for the example you are to our son. Best wishes to you and your family for a very Happy Valentines Day!
Kerri Schaefer

Anonymous said...

Tanner, I don't know if we have met, but you do know my son Casey Cook. We have followed your progress online and have been inspired by your strength. It was good to see the update. Your blog is on our "Favorites" list and I check your progress regularly. I am especially impressed by your smile...even in the face of challenge there is a smile. Progress can be slow, and at times seems to be at a turtle's pace, but as I have said before..."A turtle's pace is better than no pace at all." You will be successful in your efforts. From the pictures posted it shows that you have family and friends who give you support and bouy you up. Your faith and determination will be a blessing to you. Keep up the good work and keep smiling! EvaMae Cook

Anonymous said...

To the Godfrey family,

Roses are red
Violets are blue
It is the best
To be loved by you!

Now if that isn't amazing poetry I don't know what is! It is however from my heart!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!



P.S. Truly, flowers are the sunshine of my soul......You are the sunshine of my life!
Love, Brenda